The Department of Philosophy at Tunghai University hereby invites scholars from all disciplines in the humanities to propose papers for the international conference “Interpreting Chinese Philosophical Texts—Theories, Case Studies and Praxis” (解讀中國哲學文本—理論、個案與實踐).
Traditionally, scholars studying Chinese philosophy keep returning to classical texts to rediscover different meanings. Sometimes scholars interpret these texts differently because of the differences of their personal backgrounds, but sometimes it is because of the methodologies they employ. Which different hermeneutic theories are there? How to decide among them? How do such theories figure in the interpretation of classical texts? Scholars are invited to present papers at the conference to reflect upon this fundamental issue for the study of Chinese philosophy. Papers to be presented should fall under one of the following three categories:
- Theories: Hermeneutic theories for the interpretation of philosophical texts.
- Case Studies: How different hermeneutic theories affect the interpretation of a particular Chinese philosophical text?
- Praxis: Interpretations of Chinese philosophical texts.
Details about the conference are as follows:
- Dates: April 20 (Friday) – 21 (Saturday), 2018.
- Venue: Department of Philosophy, Tunghai University, Taichung.
- Organizer: Department of Philosophy, Tunghai University.
- Languages: Chinese and English.
- Paper proposals (title, abstract and CV) should be e-mailed to email@example.com by August 25, 2017.
- The Conference Organizing Committee (COC) will inform authors of the acceptance of their proposals for presentation at the conference by September 11, 2017.
- The full-paper should be submitted no later than March 23, 2018.
- All enquiries could be directed to conference assistant Miss Fong-Hsiu Lin, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Attachment: Proposal Form