The Department of Political Science at the University of Amsterdam invites applications for a two-year, temporary assistant professor (UD) position in Political Theory, starting 1 January 2017. Specialization is open, but we especially welcome candidates who specialize in Chinese, Buddhist, Islamic, and Africana political theories in comparative or historical perspective as well as applied ethicists or political philosophers who work on global justice, environmental ethics, ethics of war, etc. Candidates who combine such expertise with knowledge of political science research and methods are especially encouraged to apply.
- Developing, conducting, and supervising high quality academic research on Political Theory;
- teaching general and specialist courses on Political Theory at both undergraduate and graduate levels, supervising bachelor and master theses, and involvement in supervising graduate students; participation in educational initiatives;
- initiating bids for acquiring external funding research;
- actively contributing to the research programme of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research and the development of the field through scholarly publications and participation in national and international research networks.
- A completed doctoral thesis in Political Science, Philosophy, or Cognate field;
- an ongoing programme of research and publications, focused on international ‘peer reviewed’ journals and/or books pub- lished by internationally recognized academic presses;
- broad general knowledge in Political Theory;
- ability to provide excellent and inspiring teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- ability and willingness to learn Dutch;
- the Dutch basic qualification in education (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs; BKO) certificate, or the willingness to acquire such or equivalent.